Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pittsburg State Univeristy - First Visit


"Take the first step on your journey. Believe in yourself. And then take another step."




Hey Yall!!

Well I just finished my first Leadership Consultant visit for my sorority on Sunday August 15th, 2010. I was visiting the ladies of the Eta Eta chapter at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas. This was my first time out to Kansas. It was different to say the least from east coast and the beach. Pittsburg, Kansas is a college town, so it was extremely quiet while I was there because only the sororities were back in town for sorority work week. The town almost remind me of a ghost town, that's how quiet it gets when school is not in session.

When I flew from headquarters, Indianapolis, to Eta Eta I had to fly into Kansas City, Missouri and than the district 9 recruitment coaching team leader, Katy, drove me to Eta Eta, which was a two hour car ride. So the Kansas City, Missouri airport is one of the smallest airports I have ever been in. I stepped off the plane and walked up ramp to the gate, there was the waiting area to board, then about 15 more steps later was the security check point. The baggage claim area was right next to my gate. Like I said, it was an extremely small airport.

The sign in front of the house with Lambda Chi Alpha's house in the background


Alpha Sigma Alpha's Eta Eta Chapter House

Our bange on the front of the house on the second floor.

Formal Room.

Formal Room Again.

Dinning Room

Dinning Room Again

When I finally arrived in Pittsburg, Kansas and to the Eta Eta house, I was greeted by the President, Emily S., who is simply amazing in every way imaginable. She gave Katy and I a house tour. The house is 90 years old, there is a lot of history there. At one point in time it was mental institution of some sort - a little fun fact! They just remodeled the main floor the house. It is very modern, and earth tones. So it plays off of our colors!  The house currently has 21 members living in it and that is at fully capacity. There two girls to a room and there is one single room. The rooms all have bump beds. The rooms are fairly big for how hold the house is. There 8 bedrooms up yesterdays and 4 down stairs on the main floor. Each floor has a full bathroom. The upstairs bathroom was made into a community bathroom if you will. There are no doors on the "stalls" just curtains. I was warned about this from an alumni before my visit. There is a basement, where they have their "T.V. Room," a study room, a craft room, and a laundry room. The house also had a wrap around porch. It was a cute house.

The girls of Eta Eta did a wonderful job of making me feel like home. They made feel like I was a part of the chapter. They were extremely welcoming to Katy and I and soaked up everything we taught them. The girls often forgot that I was an LC and worked for headquarters and would share stories about one another and about the sorority's past. It was cool and sometimes shocking to hear the stories. Eta Eta has about 60 members.

My visit to Eta Eta was during their recruitment work week. I conducted conversations workshops, perfecting bumping schedules for parties, and really work on selling Alpha Sigma Alpha. All the girls we eager to learn everything I was teaching them. We worked on combining things that they already doing and the things I was bringing to the table so they had some old with a lot of new and it wasn't a huge change to go through. During their work week, they practice songs and chants for all their parties. I have them now memorized by listening to practice and plus they are catchy! 

The day I left Pittsburg State University, Panhellenic had 95 potential new members signed up to through recruitment, so quota is somewhere around 30. Which will be amazing for Eta Eta for this huge growth in membership. Pittsburg State University has three sororities on campus - Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Gamma Delta, and Sigma Sigma Sigma. Alpha Gamma Delta is down the street and Sigma Sigma Sigma is one block over and down the road.  As well as, seven fraternities - Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Sigma Kappa, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Sigma Tau Gamma. Lambda Chis Alpha is next door to the Alpha Sigma Alpha and they have a brand new house; it is extremely nice. And across the street is Sigma Phi Epsilon. The other fraternities are further down the street.

While I was there I got to take a house tour of Alpha Gamma Delta's house; their house was pretty and very modern. They have 2 people to a room and one room has 3 people. All their rooms are on the second floor except the 3 people room that is on the main floor. Also, they have a community bathroom and there are no doors nor curtains on their stalls... it must be a Pittsburg thing. I did not get to see the Sigma Sigma Sigma house but I heard they have a dormitory where it is rows of bunk beds and everyone sleeps there and then they have little rooms with desks, dresses, and closets in a different part of the room. I wish I got to see the house, but oh well.
Besides taking the amazing house tour, the girls were awesome at taking me to different world famous local places. I got to go to Chicken Annie's, which was on the Travel Channel. It was way out of town, like had to drive thru cow pastures. While we were leaving there was amazing lighting show because we had one crazy thunderstorm. But back to where they took me. They took me local hang outs like Mall Deli, T-Snow, and a couple of other places.

I was sad to leave Eta Eta because I felt right at home and felt like I was with my own chapter sisters. I was also sad to go because they didn't want me to leave either. I wanted to stay all this week to see final results of all the hard work they put in last week. I wanted to be there celebrating with them when they received their new girls. I am there in spirit and will be wear their bid day shirt they gave tomorrow! 

Now I am Springfield, Missouri at Missouri State University visiting the Beta Sigma chapter.




To fill my days with satisfying activity,
To find dominant beauty in art, literature, nature, and friendships,
To know the peace and serenity of a divine faith,
To love life and joyously live each day to its ultimate good -
This is my creed in Alpha Sigma Alpha

No comments:

Post a Comment